This is a detailed, curriculum aligned MIME drama unit for Middle School and High School which provides you with 5 x 100 minute whole lesson plans. NO PREP REQUIRED! This unit comes with everything you need including mime sketch (skit) scenarios, drama cards, an original script, a whole class mime commentary and extension activities. I've done your term planning for you - just print and go. Suitable for all middle school and high school levels!
What is 'mime'?
'The theatrical technique of expressing an idea or mood or portraying a character entirely by gesture and bodily movement without the use of words.' (Collins Dictionary)
Note on timing: you may like to take some of the mime activities slower than indicated. I have jam packed the unit on purpose (with options for extension activities) so you have plenty of options for dynamic classes.
THE INTRODUCTION TO MIME UNIT INCLUDES:
- 5 x 100 Minute Detailed Lesson Plans with well explained activities in a well structured sequence
- Homework Tasks
- Mime Emotion Cards
- Mime Cards (with a simple mime for each student to perform)
- Extension Activities
- Mime Sketch (Skit) Scenarios
- Whole Class Mimed Scene Commentary
- Mime Scene Scenario
- Original Short 3 Person Script to Perform
- Reflection Questions
- Mime Unit Assessment Templates (2 versions)
- Mime Unit Reflection Handout
You will need a media player to play some YouTube clips (links provided) in one of the lessons.
KEY MIME VOCABULARY: Mime. Gesture. Meaning. Facial Expressions. Body Language. Tension. Exaggerated Movement. Comedy. Attention to detail. Precise Movement. Focus. Character. Characterization. Script / Scene. Stage Directions. Sketch.
INTRODUCTION TO MIME UNIT AIMS: Students are introduced to and explore the performance of mime through guided drama experiences, devising and script performance. Students will:
- Use facial expressions, body language and movement to convey meaning
- Perform mime with attention to detail
- Devise simple mimes
- Use specific / focused gesture
- Learn about famous mime artists
- Work in groups to devise mime scenes
- Communicate ideas using the body and movement
- Use mime skills to enhance a scene with dialogue
- Participate in a whole class guided drama experience
- Devise, rehearse and present scenes using mime techniques
- Use drama vocabulary
WHAT SOME PEOPLE HAVE SAID ABOUT THIS MIME DRAMA UNIT:
"This is an amazing resource! Very thorough for a mime unit. Used it for middle school mime/pantomime unit and the kids loved it."
"My students loved this unit! So fun!"
"I've loved this unit and my students have, too. It's so easy to follow, thorough, and fun!"
"Took the planning away"
"This was a wonderful resource for teaching mime to my middle schoolers. There were many activities, all of which the students enjoyed."
"Amazing resource, my grade 8 students are loving it!"
"Excellent. Did this unit with a particularly challenge group of drama students.!"
You can find more curriculum aligned drama lesson plans and units for Middle School and High School HERE!
INTRODUCTION TO MIME
SUITABLE FOR YEAR LEVELS (GRADES)
7, 8, 9, 10
This is a digital download (PDF) file only. This product is for personal classroom or homeschool use by a single purchaser only. You may not distribute, copy or modify this product other than for your own personal, non-commercial classroom use. © Drama Trunk.
Full terms of purchase and use can be found here.