HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Drama Unit. This is a fully detailed, curriculum aligned drama unit for Middle School and High School which provides you with 5 x 100 minute whole lesson plans. NO PREP REQUIRED! This unit comes with everything you need including full drama lesson plans, homework tasks, drama unit evaluation handout, drama unit assessment template and comprehension questions. I've done your term planning for you - just print and go. Suitable for all middle school and high school levels but a perfect unit to introduce students to working with a play text. Students will read and perform parts of the Harry Potter and the Cursed Child play and perform complimentary activities. As well as looking at the characters, students will explore a range of abstract drama techniques.
Note: the unit goes into Part 1 but due to time contrainsts (an ongoing teaching battle - time) the lesson activities are based on Part 1 (setting up the play like this though allows students to run with the end of the play themselves if you want to go on to perform the whole play).
*****YOU WILL NEED A COPY OF THE PLAY AND STUDENTS WILL ALSO NEED A COPY - THIS IS NOT INCLUDED AND THE UNIT REFERS TO SPECIFIC PARTS OF THE PLAY THAT MUST BE READ FROM THE PLAY****** You can find the play on Amazon or Book Depository (who ship internationally).
Note on timing: you may like to take some of the activities slower than indicated. I have jam packed the unit on purpose so you have plenty of options for dynamic classes.
THE HARRY POTTER DRAMA UNIT INCLUDES:
- 5 x 100 Minute Detailed Lesson Plans with well explained activities in a well structured sequence focusing on abstract performance techniques
- Comprehension Questions
- Homework Tasks
- Additional Activities
- Harry Potter Drama Unit Reflection Handout
- Unit Assessment Template (for ease of marking the drama unit)
KEY DRAMA VOCABULARY: Play. Stage Directions. Character Impressions. Abstract Performance. Freeze Frames. Internal Thoughts. Abstract Characters. Abstract Dialogue. Crescendo. Script. Characters. Relationship. Physical Theatre. Theme.
HARRY POTTER DRAMA UNIT AIMS: Students will explore the play ‘Harry Potter & the Cursed Child’ using abstract performance strategies. Students will:
- Explore different abstract (non-naturalistic) performance strategies
- Discuss their impressions of characters based on the play text
- Use a play text as stimulus
- Write and perform their own short script based on the play
- Interpret a key theme of the play in an abstract way
- Think about and respond to a character's inner thoughts and feelings, motivations and emotions
- Rehease and present scenes using different abstract drama strategies
- Refine work through collaborative rehearsal
- Discuss a key character relationship and relate this to real life
- Use physical theatre to portray elements of the story
WHAT SOME PEOPLE HAVE SAID ABOUT THIS DRAMA UNIT:
"This has great resources - but only for Part 1."
You can find more curriculum aligned drama lesson plans and units for Middle School and High School HERE!
HARRY POTTER & THE CURSED CHILD
SUITABLE FOR YEAR LEVELS (GRADES)
6, 7, 8, 9, 10
This is a digital download (PDF) file only. This product is for personal classroom or homeschool use by a single purchaser only. You may not distribute, copy or modify this product other than for your own personal, non-commercial classroom use. © Drama Trunk.
Full terms of purchase and use can be found here.