These are drama lesson plans for elementary (primary) students exploring the story of 'Where the Wild Things are' by Maurice Sendak. Through guided and themed drama lesson activities, students develop drama skills: creating, responding and performing and explore the themes of the story.
***NOTE: you will need a copy of the storybook for these drama lessons. The storybook is not included. If you don't have a copy of the book - you can find a copy on Amazon or Book Depository (who ship internationally).
***ENGLISH / LITERACY TEACHERS: These drama activities based on 'Where the Wild Things Are' will work beautifully alongside and enhance your elementary English curriculum. The drama lessons are designed and set out in such a way as to span across multiple lessons (I suggest 4 lessons) and compliment English curriculum - following elements of the story and story themes. So why not add some drama to your English lessons? Your students will love it and enjoy and explore the story in a whole new way!!!
DRAMA LESSON OBJECTIVES
- Explore and extend parts of the story using pantomime, movement, improvisation and imagination.
- Are introduced to drama as 'pretending to be different characters'.
- Suggest ideas to develop short scenes.
- Use their bodies to tell a story.
- Respond to guided drama / movement experiences.
- Immerse themselves in the story and explore, visualise and describe an imaginary world.
- Participate in and perform guided scripted activities.
- Explore character decisions and inner thoughts.
KEY DRAMA VOCABULARY: Pantomime. Drama. Movement. Characters. Pretend. Thought Tunnel. Exaggerate. Scene. Offer.
WHAT SOME PEOPLE HAVE SAID ABOUT THESE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL DRAMA LESSON PLANS:
"Great resource - thank you!
"My student enjoyed this - thank you!"
You can find more drama lesson plans, drama games and more for primary and elementary kids HERE!
WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE
SUITABLE FOR YEAR LEVELS (GRADES)
1, 2, 3
This is a digital download (PDF) file only. This product is for personal classroom or homeschool use by a single purchaser only. You may not distribute, copy or modify this product other than for your own personal, non-commercial classroom use. © Drama Trunk.
Full terms of purchase and use can be found here.