This is a fully detailed, curriculum aligned CHARACTERISATION drama unit for Middle School and High School which provides you with 5 x 100 minute whole lesson plans. NO PREP REQUIRED! This unit comes with everything you need including original acting scripts for students to perform in class, character cards, homework and detailed characterisation lesson plan instructions. I've done your school term planning for you - just print and go. Suitable for all middle school and high school levels!
Note on timing: you may like to take some of the activities slower than indicated. I have jam packed the unit on purpose (with options for extension activities) so you have plenty of options for dynamic drama classes.
THIS CHARACTERISATION DRAMA UNIT INCLUDES:
- 5 x 100 Minute Detailed Lesson Plans with well explained activities in a well structured sequence
- Homework Tasks and take home sheets
- Character Cards
- Fakebook character profile (also available individually at Drama Trunk)
- Extension Activities
- Neutral Scripts
- Original Characterisation Script for in-class performance
- Reflection Questions
- Characterisation Drama Unit Assessment Templates (2 versions)
- Characterisation Drama Unit Reflection Handout
- 'Group Freeze Frames' Improv Cards and Activities (available separately HERE!)
You will need a media player to play some YouTube clips (links provided) in one of the lessons.
DRAMA KEY VOCABULARY: Characterisation. Inner-thoughts. Movement. Gesture. Body Language. Freeze Frame. Hot Seating. Role of the Wall. Meaning. Stereotype. Naturalistic. Caricature. Centre of Gravity.
CHARACTERISATION DRAMA UNIT AIMS: Students will use a variety of drama techniques to create, refine and sustain original characters.
- Work individually and collaboratively to apply a range of improvisation and other strategies to create scripted and improvised characters
- Explore character’s inner thoughts and feelings
- Explore how character affects dialogue
- Convey emotion and character through frozen image
- Use repetition and analysis to create and revise dramatic work
- Refine and perform rehearsed and scripted theatre work
- Explore stereotypes
- Assist peers developing characters
- Explore the issue of bullying through drama, using personal experience and knowledge to create a character
- Demonstrate literacy in drama vocabulary
WHAT SOME PEOPLE HAVE SAID ABOUT THIS DRAMA UNIT:
"This was a very good resource. It didn't take a lot of prep time and my students really liked it and were easily engaged and liked doing the lessons."
"Great during distance learning with a long-term sub!"
"My students loved all of the interactive materials and activities."
You can find more curriculum aligned drama lesson plans and units for Middle School and High School HERE!
SUITABLE FOR YEAR LEVELS (GRADES)
7, 8, 9, 10, 11
This is a digital download (PDF) file only. This product is for personal classroom or homeschool use by a single purchaser only. You may not distribute, copy or modify this product other than for your own personal, non-commercial classroom use. © Drama Trunk.
Full terms of purchase and use can be found here.